2015-12-28

Jalapeño Cheese Bread and a Giant Boule

Out of the blue, my dad mentioned he liked jalapeño cheese bread. Why not make some? But I was in my parents' kitchen without my scales,  rising buckets and other paraphernalia.  But I made up a recipe and also one for a plain boule so I could use maximize the use of the oven's heat. They turned out quite well.

For both, I used a really high hydration (wet) dough so I could use the no-knead method I favor for flavor as well as laziness. Mix the ingredients together, put in a covered bucket (my mom's biggest pots), cover and refrigerate overnight (or three). I folded grated cheese and diced fresh jalapeños into one batch and left the other unadorned.  I gave them each a turn before going to bed, and another early in the morning.

Around noon, I  split the cheesy dough into thirds and shaped, and rose each in a mixing bowl nestled on a sheet of parchment paper; I shaped the unflavored dough into a giant boule in a big Le Cruset pot, also on parchment.  Both were left to rise two or three hours until the dough weakly sprung back from a poke in the side: the were risen enough but not too much.

I preheated the oven as high as it would go with three large pyrex mixing bowls and a giant ceramic crockpot insert inside it to get screaming hot, and when at temperature, carefully lowered the boules into their right-sized pots, using the parchment as a sling.  I covered them lightly with foil to retain moisture to encourage a lofty oven-spring.

They rose beautifully. After a half hour, I removed the foil to let them brown.   It's a ton of good bread and is going fast at the house.

This giant boule used 6 cups flour and is bigger than my head, or our giant Crypto. It's the most massive loaf I've made to date. 


No comments:

Post a Comment