2018-01-01

Knaakkebrod: Swedish Crisp Bread

I've tried this a number of times, with various results, some intensely flavored with good snap, but none with the laminated lightness you get from the commercial ones at Ikea. This is our latest attempt.



300 g Rye Flour
100 g All Purpose Flour
 10 g Instant Yeast
  4 g Salt
300 g Water (75% hydration)

In a stand mixer, whisk the dry ingredients then drizzle in the water. Knead 5 minutes: it will be loose and sticky.  Let it rise an hour, covered.

Divide into two 355 g blobs of dough. 

Place each blob on parchment, cover with cling film (it's sticky) and roll out as thin as you can. I first laid out masking tape on the counter to mark the size of my sheet pan, so I could ensure my dough would fit.



I use a rolling pin with 1-2 mm thick cross-section O-rings on the ends for spacing. I may look a bit dorky in the hardware store with a rolling pin, but this works perfectly (for pasta, too).


Dust with flour so your tools don't stick, then section with fluted cutter, and poke holes with fork (I made a little block of nails with my initials :-)




Bake at 200C/400F for about 15 minutes until crisp. Let cool and dry. Snap on the fluted scoring lines.




No comments:

Post a Comment