2023-10-19

Saffron Ice Cream: no churn

My favorite ice cream is saffron but here in Barcelona, I don't have my old churn. I'm basing this recipe on Leite's Culinaria no-churn vanilla ice cream, converting to metric, then scaling to match the common size of Cream we find here.

Saffron ice cream in cones, with sweet Moscatell dessert wine

This turned out well, though it was not as fluffy as my churned version. It was a little firm, so I'll let it soften a bit in the refrigerator before scooping. It was intensely saffron-y, probably because I can get good quality saffron here at reasonable prices. The Sweetened Condensed Milk gave it a slight caramel flavor which I'd like to reduce, but backing it out it would reduce the sugar which would make it even more firm.

0.2 g    1/8 tsp    Saffron Threads (1/2 of a 0.4 g jar)
 15 ml     1 Tbs    Brandy (or Rum)
200 ml   2/3 C      Heavy Cream, chilled
200 ml   2/3 C      Whole Milk, chilled
340 g     12 oz     Sweetened Condensed Milk
  1 pinch  1 pinch  Salt

Crush and infuse Saffron threads in Brandy for 30 minutes or longer.

Whip the Cream until small to medium peaks form, about 8 minutes.
In a separate bowl, combine Milk, Condensed Milk, Salt.
Mix in the infused Saffron Brandy.


Gently whisk in the Whipped Cream into the Milk Mixture.


Pour into a loaf pan or other container; I used a 500g plastic sorbet tub with tight-fitting lid.


Cover with plastic wrap or lid and freeze until fully set, at least 4 hours.
Serve directly from the freezer, or if it's too firm, let warm up a bit in the fridge until it's scoop-able. 

No comments:

Post a Comment