2018-12-31

Pullman Loaf Sandwich Bread

I got Irene a couple Pullman Loaf pans for making square cross-section bread, very fancy. I have adjusted my go-to recipe from Peter Reinhart's "Bread Bakers Apprentice" to fit. The recipe that came with the Pullman tin uses about 600 g AP Flour, so I'll scale my recipe to that.  Here, I'm doubling Reinhart's White Bread Variation 2 that I always use, omitting the sugar which IMHO makes it too sweet. It should barely fit in my KA mixer which I regularly use for 1Kg flour batches, and fill our 2 Pullmans or 4 standard glass/metal loaf pans.



8 1/2 C     38 oz   1100 g  100%  Flour
    1 Tbs  0.8 oz     22 g    2%  Salt, kosher
    2 tsp  0.3 oz     6 g   1.1%  Yeast
    2        4 oz    115 g   11%  Eggs, large or extra large
  1/2 C      4 oz    115 g   11%  Extra Virgin Olive Oil
    3 C     24 oz    680 g   62%  Milk, skim, whole, or butter work

Instead of the EVOO you can use melted butter or even bacon fat (!); I've used skim and whole milk, but water makes for a boring bread.  
The eggs and milk make this about a 70% hydration dough.

You can add the dry ingredients to the mixer and combine, and separately combine the liquids and drizzle in, or you can simply dump them all in at once -- all work fine. 
Knead 10 minutes, separate into two rising buckets, and rise covered about 2 hours until doubled.
Shape and place each into 2 lightly oiled Pullman tins, or split again and add to 4 standard loaf tins. 


Rise covered again for 1-2 hours until doubled, or until the dough is almost at the top of the Pullman tin; for Pullmans, slide the lids on.
Bake in preheated oven 30 minutes at 325F, slide off Pullman lids and bake another 30 minutes.
Remove from pans and let cool on a rack so it doesn't steam.





1 comment:

  1. On 2020-11-08 I cut the yeast by half because it has a tendency to blow the lid off the bucket as it ferments over night in the fridge... twice.

    ReplyDelete